QUOTE

Proverbs 15:30, "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart and good news gives health to the bones."
"When you put your faith in others, you can help them reach their potential. And you become an important influencer in their lives."

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

RECOGNITION & SELF WORTH

He said, "This is my son, Stephen, my hero!"

The struggle with self worth has been something I've struggled with for all these years. It is probably one of my weaknesses in life. The urge to find my worth through what I do and pleasing others in the process seemed to help me find a certain value in myself. It is an endless jouney to finding my worth.

I know of many people who feel the same as I do. My lack of worth is probably the lack of fathering. In recent years, as I worked, I found myself trying to please my bosses and hoping for their approval. The desire to please them became too overwhelming that I thought something mst be wrong. As a Christian, I knew that I am not to please people as to making them gods, rather to please God and to live for him only. I was wanting some kind of attention and recgnition.

Nearly a year ago, I went for a visit to my dad's house for Chinese new year. We were sitting in the living room. My dad had a few visitors and as his son, I greeted his guest and welcomed them into the house. He then introduced me to them and it was what he said that surprised me. In fact, it changed my life! He said, "This is my son Stephen, my hero." I could not believe my ears. It was someting I had not expected.

I praise the Lord for those kind words. I know that I am not quite the 'hero' but to hear it coming from my dad... it was approval and recognition long awaited.

Now imagine this with me. At the river Jordan, John the Baptist was preaching about the coming kingdom and the Christ. His words pierced the hearts of many to surrender and repentance. Then... in the midst of them was Jesus son of Joseph the carpenter. "Behold! The Son of Man... this is the Christ I am telling you about whose sandle straps I am not worthy to untie." And as Jesus approached him, He told John to baptist Him. As he came out of the water the heavens thundered and the clouds parted.

A voice thundered from the heavens, "This is my beloved Son whom I am well please!" And from the clouds the Spirit of God like a dove came upon Jesus the Beloved Son of God.
If you would take a moment to imagine the assurance Jesus had, one that He needed to hear for the task He was about the embark was bigger than one man could handle. God the Father's assurance was timely and comforting.

God is also calling us sons and daughters. We have been called children of the most high God. He is calling to you..."my child, I love you!"

No comments: