QUOTE

Proverbs 15:30, "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart and good news gives health to the bones."
"When you put your faith in others, you can help them reach their potential. And you become an important influencer in their lives."

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

LEADING THE GROUP - My Eldest Sister

A lot of the traits of a leader I had learnt from my family. I was the third child in my family. The crossroads were never quite clear here. From the time our my childhood, my eldest sister had also been the leader. She always seemed to have it all under controlled. She was the rational and thorough type. May be its just part and parcel of being the eldest.

One of my earlier memory of her was a time we were leaving at a flat. It was usually during our bedtime. My sisters and I would sleep on the floor since there would be no room for us on the bed with my mom and dad. My eldest sister would then be sandwiched between my second sister and I. Both of us would cling onto her arm on ether side as she became to us our security for the night. Somehow, some time in the early morning; she would find herself abandon by her siblings just to find them cuddling with our parents. Hahaha... this happened quite often actually.

Her leadership was something I looked up too. Even now. She is someone I would run to for advices (not that I apply them) and depend on. Often people would wish for an older brother, but for me... I love it just the way it is.

She had set a certain standard for myself and my siblings, and I believe even fro those around her. Her leadership stands out and her lifestyle tells it all. She never commits to something she is unable to fulfill. She would as much as she could, be punctual and would do her best to keep to her words. Her promise is her word to keep.

Leadership is not about achievements, rather its about how we achieve them. Who are we achieving those goals with? Why are we doing the things we do? It is about the people we work with. It is about how we can influence those around us so that WE can become a better person individually and as a team. My sister seems to have that kind of leadership. Maintain the perspective and keeping on course.

Of course, this is one of the lessons I've learnt more about leadership from home. I've got my mom, dad and other siblings that have thought me more about life than most people I've met. Leadership starts at home.

No comments: