QUOTE

Proverbs 15:30, "A cheerful look brings joy to the heart and good news gives health to the bones."
"When you put your faith in others, you can help them reach their potential. And you become an important influencer in their lives."

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

IDENTITY CRISIS


This is rather personal. I was contemplating whether it would be a good idea to post such feelings and experiences, but this is exactly the reason why I started "CROWS AND CROSSROADS" that I may share some of my expriences at these crossroads of life.

Note: Please be patient with my grammar. I will correct it again for better reading. God Bless!

IDENTITY CRISIS

Before my younger brother come into the world, I was the youngest child among my siblings. They were my sisters. I played with them what every child would normally play. We particularly enjoyed role playing such as weddings, house, students and teachers and many more. I enjoyed my childhood thoroughly. Climbing trees,running in the field, swimming... you name it, we have probably done it.

Some time along the way, I began to question my identity. More specifically my sexuality. I've heard the word "gay" many times before. It seemed rather provocative. My friends in school would tell me that if you like someone of the same gender, surely you must be "gay" and there's something wrong with you. This was what I believed. As I grew older, I realised that I had admiration for those of similar gender. I was torn apart. I thought, "Could I be gay?". This struggle with my identity remained with me for several years into my teen years. The more I thought of it, the more I felt convinced that I was somewhat attracted to those of the same gender. I had an identity crisis.
It didn't mean that I didn't have attraction to girls. I do. Very strongly. This made it more confusing. So, one day at a youth camp I prayed for God to help me. I wanted to know what was wrong with me. At that camp, I learnt that attraction and admiration is a normal part of growing up. My admiration for men was not because I had any homosexual tendencies, rather I was admiring them for their personality, characters, qualities and more. They were what I admired and wanted to become. I wanted to become a man.

The reason I had such misconceptions was that society and media often generalize admiration for certain types of sexual attraction. There is nothing wrong to admire a person even if they are of the same gender. A lot of boys admire Michael Jordan. Does it make them "gay"? No! Society and media, instead of correcting our way of thinking, has corrupted it. They tell us that any same gender attraction, or any kind of attraction for that matter, is sexual . We believe in such lies and eventually for some, they succumb to them. Admiration is not bad, it is learning to appreciate the beauty of God's creation.

The identity crisis is probably the one prevalent crisis in our cultures today. Just think about it. Identity is not just about sexuality but intellect, emotions and spirituality too. People go through identity crisis almost daily because we are always in transition: A toddler-child-teen-older teen-early adulthood-mid adulthood-adult-old age. We are always facing identity crisis . We've heard of quarter-life crisis, mid-life crisis and much more.

YOU HAVE AN IDENTITY CRISIS....!

I know Jesus has the answer to your crisis. We can only find our true purpose and identity when we know Jesus Christ in whom all things are created. Give it some thought, are you in a crisis?

Col 1:16-17 (CEV)
"Everything was created by him, everything in heaven and on earth, everything seen and unseen, including all forces and powers, and all rulers and authorities. All things were created by God's Son, and everything was made for him.(17)God's Son was before all else, and by him everything is held together."

No comments: